A Complete Guide to Study visa and entry requirements — Australia

Students may enter Australia up to 90 days before the start of their program. Upon arrival, you must notify the education provider of your residence address. The validity of your visa may be revoked if you fail to comply with the visa conditions.

You can brighten up your future by studying in Australia. There are a few necessary details you must finalize before you can move forward. Your priority should be to obtain a student visa — subclass 500. You can live, work, and study in Australia for five years on the student visa – subclass 500.

Working hours during term time are limited to 40 hours per fortnight, while during study breaks they are unlimited. Students in all sectors are temporarily permitted to work over their usual 40-hour limit during term time, as decided by the Australian Government. There is currently no requirement for students to wait until the start of their courses before they can start working in Australia.

The Australian government opens its borders to international students

In March 2020, Australia shut itself off due to Covid, imposing some of the world’s strictest travel bans. Australian government officials announced that international students who have been fully vaccinated will be able to enter Australia without a travel exemption on December 1st, 2021. The Australian government, however, has decided to delay its border reopening from December 1st to December 15th 2021, due to the spread of the Covid-19 Omicron variant.

The student visa application process was opened to students from all countries outside of Australia in July 2021. In this way, international students will already be able to enter Australia once it reopens its borders. As quarantine and testing requirements vary from state to state, students should be aware of these requirements.

General Requirement

Different universities around the world require different credentials. Therefore, it is critical to pay attention to the requirements of different universities and colleges. All applicants must, however, meet certain general requirements:

  • Proof of English Proficiency
  • During the course of their study, students must be able to make and communicate meaning in spoken and written English. The English placement test will typically test your reading, writing, and listening abilities. Grammar, vocabulary, and speaking may also be included in some tests. Combining these evaluations into one test or scoring each skill separately is possible.

    It is possible to prove your proficiency in English by taking a variety of English proficiency tests. Depending on the school you’re applying to, you may have to take a particular test, including IELTS, TOEFL, CAE, and CPE.

  • Vocational education and training (VET)
  • VET institutions usually do not have entrance exams. However, you may be required to have studied certain subjects or acquired work experience to be eligible for some courses.

  • Undergraduate courses
  • Grade 12 or equivalent is required for students to enroll in an undergraduate course. Depending on the course, certain prerequisites may also be required.

  • Postgraduate course
  • Postgraduate courses require a bachelor’s degree. Research abilities and relevant work experience may also be taken into account by education providers.

Understanding the Student Visa (Subclass 500)

Students can apply for a Student Visa (Subclass 500) for a temporary period of time. After the visa expires, applicants must affirm their intention to return home. When you arrive in Australia, you can apply for another visa or permanent residence if you meet the GTE requirement.

Student Visa Requirements
  • Offer Letter
  • When you receive an Offer Letter from your selected university or college, your application will be considered 60% successful. Make sure you read the offer letter carefully before accepting it. The course, enrolment conditions, and fees will be communicated to you if you accept the offer.

  • Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
  • Once you have accepted a place at the college or university, you will receive a Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE). The document is required when applying for a student visa to study in Australia. This document contains information about your education, the program you are studying, and the estimated cost.

  • Proof of English Proficiency
  • In order to study in an Australian educational institution, you will need to provide a certificate of results from an approved English language test. It is necessary to obtain this certificate in order for the Australian Government to verify that you are proficient in English enough to succeed in your course. Institutions sometimes set higher minimum requirements for certain courses depending on the education level.

  • Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Requirement
  • It is a requirement that all student visa applicants demonstrate they are coming to Australia temporarily to gain educational opportunities. Genuine Temporary Entrants (GTEs) are not intended to exclude students from applying for permanent residency after studying in Australia and developing skills needed by Australia

  • Proof of Sufficient Funds
  • An Australian student visa requires proof of sufficient funds to cover your living expenses during your stay. Proof of grants, scholarships, or bank statements. Doing this proves that you have sufficient funds to cover all your course-related costs, including travel, course fees, and rent.

  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
  • While in Australia, international students may need medical and hospital care from OSHC. OSHC also covers a limited number of pharmaceuticals.

  • Health Requirement
  • Health requirements for international students must be met in order to enter the country. To satisfy these health requirements, you may undergo a health examination.

  • Character Requirement
  • According to the Migration Act 1958, there are character requirements for Visiting or living in Australia.

    A person cannot pass the character test under subsection 501(6)(d) if there is a significant risk that he or she will engage in criminal conduct while in Australia, such as harassing, molesting, intimidating, stalking another person, or disparaging a group of Australians.

Updates on COVID-19 and Visas

A revised strategy for international education has been developed by the Australian government from 2021 to 2030 in an effort to encourage students to study in Australia. Additionally, the majority of Masters students are granted an extension of their work visas following completion of their studies. Following graduation, they can remain and work in the country for three years.

Border closures also offer students the chance to apply for replacement work visas if they already held post-study work visas but could not use them.

In 2022, there will be several updates and new rules regarding Australia Study Visa requirements

  • Courses for bridge-building and distance learning
  • Many Australian providers offer online and blended courses to international students. Whether you study in Australia or abroad (including online), you will still need a student visa.

  • COVID-19 Impact on Existing and New Students
  • Schooling was disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic, affecting 90% of the world’s students and pushing entire school systems online and to remote areas. The Australian Study Requirement for a post-study work visa (Visa subclass 485) can be met by online students who study outside the country because of COVID-19.

  • Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) Visa Holders
  • For international students who have recently graduated, this visa is designed to assist them in finding employment in occupations that Australia needs. You can spend up to 18 months living, studying, and working in Australia.

  • Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional Visa)
  • With the new skilled work regional 491 visa (Subclass 491 Visa), all skilled workers and their families can stay, work, or study in designated areas of Australia. Visas are valid for five years.

    A 491 visa holder is permitted to live in all regions of Australia except metropolitan Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane. In addition, Wollongong, Newcastle, Perth, the Gold Coast, and the NSW Central Coast have been added.

  • Subclass 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored
  • Employers can sponsor skilled workers under a subclass 494 visa when they cannot find an appropriately skilled Australian worker. In the future, Subclass 494 visa holders may apply for a Subclass 191 skilled regional permanent residency visa.

    If you meet all eligibility criteria, a 494 Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional Visa holder can receive a home loan worth up to 90% of the property value, including lender mortgage insurance (LMI).

  • Post-study work visa
  • Students who are outside Australia and cannot enter the country due to travel restrictions can now apply for a Post-study work visa.

Final Thoughts

TAFEs, private colleges, and specialized private institutions dominate the Australian higher education sector. Public universities make up the largest proportion of higher education in Australia, followed by a small number of private universities. A single national regulatory agency regulates and assures the quality of the country’s higher education sector – the Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency.

The quality and diversity of Australian education, employment opportunities, and study environment make it a popular destination for international students. Global Colliance offers various undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Australia at top colleges and universities. Global Colliance team ensures to highlight the student’s past academic records and employment history during the course selection procedure to ensure error-free applications.

Visit us at www.globalcolliance.com and get answers to all your study abroad-related queries.

Apply for Visa Processor

    Attach your latest resume

    Apply for Counsellor

    Error: Contact form not found.

    Apply for Front Desk Executive

      Attach your latest resume

      Apply for Branch Manager

        Attach your latest resume

        Apply for Admission Officer

          Attach your latest resume

          Brijesh shah - Co- Founder & Director

          ACCA certified Professional from The UK, Mr Brijesh Shah brings more than 15 years of Overseas Education Experience to the table.
          An Ambitious mind brimming with start-up ideas, he is also a people manager and a motivator and has continually managed to obtain more from less.!
          An ideal professional, he sustains the highest values of personal honesty and ethics along with a complete transparent work atmosphere.
          His professional expertise has played a significant role in the phenomenal success of Global Colliance.

          Jay Ruparel - Co- Founder & Director

          Mr Jay Ruparel is an alumnus of MSU Baroda.
          Having highly accredited commencements with different awarding bodies in the field of study abroad, he comes with 12 years of experience in education abroad services.
          Global Colliance and its students have hugely benefited from Mr Jay’s significant exposure to career counselling.

          Mary Hiwale - Partner & Director

          Ms Mary is a certified expert in the field of study abroad.
          Having a rich experience in career counselling, she has managed to create great alumni students at world’s top-notch universities.
          Not only certified by counselling-awarding bodies, she is also a certified trainer from IELTS-IDP, British Council, Pearson PTE and ETS TOEFL.

          Apply for Student Visa Counsellor & Senior Counsellor

            Attach your latest resume

            Apply for IELTS Faculty

              Attach your latest resume

              Apply for Marketing Executive

                Attach your latest resume

                Apply for Back Office Executive

                  Attach your latest resume

                  Apply for Assessment Officer

                    Attach your latest resume

                    Event Registration

                      Take first step to start global studies with Global Colliance

                        Anil Rawat - Partner & Director, Global Colliance (Delhi)

                        Mr Anil Rawat is an accomplished fine artist, a teacher, and an award-winning advertising expert.
                        He is a gold medalist from the prestigious art institute of India and has been the visiting faculty of prestigious Art Colleges; also, he is an examiner at Delhi University and a member of the Board of Studies at Jamia Millia University.
                        Being a true academician, he has ensured that our students choose the best courses at the best universities according to their interest and profile, resulting in a number of successful careers for our candidates, which is the true motto of Global Colliance.

                        Shripal Shah - Partner (Vadodara New VIP Branch)

                        Mr Shripal Shah is a young and energetic businessman who lives and breathes honesty, dedication and selfless service; his stronghold over marketing and relations makes him an entrepreneur with a huge network.
                        Starting from scratch after graduating in Commerce from Gujarat University, he has excelled in establishing himself as the market leader in various trades.
                        He brings with him more than 18 years of experience in the world of business and his experience in public dealing has enabled Global Colliance to stand apart from its competition.